Patent Preparation and Prosecution
Daly, Crowley, Mofford & Durkee, LLP can help prepare patent applications for inventions in a wide range of industries, including biotechnology, pharmaceutical, medical device, food product, and mechanical inventions, among others.
The process of obtaining and maintaining patent rights usually has five main phases:
- Obtaining an initial description of the invention
- Preparation of a patent specification
- Filing the application: the application is usually filed initially in the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office, but can be filed as an international application (PCT application)
- Prosecuting the application: this involves working with the Patent Office to obtain allowance of the patent claims and issuance of the final patent
- Maintaining the patent over its lifetime
The nature of the invention and your business may entail additional steps such as the following:
- Filing an international application corresponding to the initial U.S. application
- Filing and prosecuting corresponding patent applications in countries outside the U.S. in coordination with selected associates in those countries
- Filing and prosecuting continuing applications in the U.S. based on the original U.S. application
For more information about Daly, Crowley, Mofford & Durkee, LLP's patent and intellectual property services, call our office at 781-401-9988.